About Onslow Memorial Surgical Services
When you have surgery at Onslow Memorial Hospital, you can feel confident knowing you’re in the care of one of the region’s most comprehensive medical facilities. With trusted board-certified surgeons, experienced nurses and state-of-the-art surgical technology, our team will provide you with exceptional surgical care.
Your OMH Surgical Team
Our surgeons and staff are available to answer questions to help put you at ease and prepare you for surgery, recovery, and follow up care. You’ll appreciate personalized, expert surgical care from your surgeon, nurses, and anesthesia providers. Our compassionate medical team has decades of experience caring for surgical patients.
Our surgeons offer an extensive list of surgical services that spans the breadth of general and specialized procedures. Find the surgical care you need with a broad range of treatments and minimally invasive procedures for:
General surgery is a surgical subspecialty that focuses predominantly on abdominal contents including the esophagus, stomach, small bowel, colon, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, and thyroid. General surgery also covers diseases involving the skin, breast, soft tissue, and hernias.
- Critical care
- Minimally invasive surgery
Oral and maxillofacial surgery is a surgical specialty focusing on reconstructive surgery of the face, facial trauma surgery, the oral cavity, head and neck, mouth, and jaws. Onslow’s team of board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons are dental specialists who treat conditions, defects, injuries and aesthetic aspects of the mouth, teeth, jaws and face. Their expertise covers the full scope of oral and maxillofacial procedures ranging from dental implant surgery and wisdom tooth removal to corrective jaw surgery and facial cosmetic surgery. They also diagnose and treat facial pain and accident victims with facial injuries.
- Dental implants
- Bone grafting
- Wisdom teeth
- Impacted canines
- Facial trauma
- Jaw surgery
- Oral pathology
- TMJ disorder
- Sleep apnea
- Cleft lip and palate
- Platelet rich plasma therapy
Plastic surgery is a surgical specialty involving the restoration, reconstruction or alteration of the human body. Onslow Memorial’s plastic surgeons are dedicated to improving our patients’ quality of life through a range of cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries. Our surgeons are specialists in addressing a wide range of problems related to trauma, cancer, or congenital defects, and also provide a wide array of options for elective cosmetic procedures.
- tumor removal
- skin cancer removal and reconstruction
- laceration repair
- scar repair
- hand surgery
- breast reduction
- breast reconstruction following a mastectomy
- cleft lip and palate repair
- correction of congenital abnormalities
Podiatry is a medical specialty focused on the health and wellness of your feet and ankles. The podiatrists at Onslow Memorial are uniquely trained to diagnose, treat and prevent conditions affecting feet and ankles. Not only are your feet and ankles essential to your everyday activities and your success in sports, but they also provide important data about your overall health.
Podiatrists can detect everything from diabetes to nutritional deficiencies just by examining your feet. Here are some examples of what your feet are saying:
- Loss of hair on your feet points to poor circulation and can mean vascular disease. When the heart can’t pump enough blood to your extremities because of blockages of the arteries, the body has to prioritize its use. Hair on your toes is low on the list of your body’s priorities when there’s a blockage in blood flow.
- Sores that won’t heal on the bottom of your feet are major warning signs of diabetes. Elevated glucose levels cause nerve damage in your feet. A person with diabetes may not feel that they have scraped, cut or irritated an area on the bottom of their feet. When these wounds go unnoticed they can cause serious infection, which can lead to amputation.
- Thick, yellow toenails indicate a fungal infection is running rampant below the surface of the nail.
- A swollen, red or purplish, intensely painful toe is a red flag for gout. Gout is the result of a buildup of uric acid. Gout can be controlled through diet and medication. Podiatrists can help relieve the pain and get your feet back to functioning again.
- When your feet are incredibly painful to walk on, you could have an undiagnosed stress fracture. These stress fractures can point to a decrease in bone density, a vitamin D deficiency, a problem absorbing calcium, or other nutritional problems.
Onslow Memorial’s podiatric physicians specialize in complete care of the foot and ankle. Common conditions include:
- Plantar fasciitis (heel pain)
- Diabetic foot and wound care
- Ingrown and painful toenails
- Bunions, hammertoes, or other changes in shape
- Sports injuries
- Sprains or fractures
- Nerve or circulatory conditions
- Arthritis and gout
- Corns, calluses or warts
- Arch pain
- Flat feet
- Orthotic fittings
- Skin problems
- Pressure ulcers
Minimally Invasive Techniques
Whenever possible, your surgeon will perform a minimally invasive procedure, a technique to operate so you experience less pain, scarring, and shorter recovery time. Our surgeons use advanced technology such as the da Vinci Surgical System and Mazor X Stealth robotic systems.
If the procedure you need is appropriate for day surgery - also known as outpatient surgery, where you will return home the same day as your surgery - you can be scheduled at either Onslow Memorial Hospital's ER and Surgical Pavilion or at SurgiCare of Jacksonville. You can find more information about SurgiCare of Jacksonville and the services provided here.