New, interventional capabilities.
CATH LAB OVERVIEW
Diseases of the heart are the second leading cause of death in Onslow County, and our improved ability to identify cardiac issues and offer catheterizations with intervention will make great strides in diagnosing and treating patients, all without having to drive multiple hours to and from other cath lab facilities.
Our recently renovated cath lab offers the most current, state-of-the-art equipment available, using lower dose radiation equipment for safer diagnostic/imaging and ability to provide further treatment. The lab also features experienced and renowned cardiologists performing the procedures and using this advanced technology. In the event that advanced cardiac diseases may be present and require advanced urgent care/cardiothoracic surgeons, the cath lab can offer continuity of care through a special partnership with CarolinaEast.
The lab is just one step in our efforts to expand cardiac care at Onslow Memorial Hospital and serve our community so that it can be at its healthiest.
ABOUT CARDIAC CATHETERIZATION
Cardiac catheterization (cardiac cath) is an invasive imaging procedure that allows physicians to evaluate heart function. During a cardiac catheterization, a long, narrow tube called a catheter is inserted through a plastic introducer sheath (a short, hollow tube that is inserted into a blood vessel in your leg or arm). Patients are typically awake or mildly sedated for the procedure. Our interventional cardiologists will numb a small area of the groin or wrist and a catheter will be threaded into a blood vessel through a small puncture in one of those areas. The catheter is then guided through the blood vessel to the coronary arteries with the aid of a special x-ray machine. Two common diagnostic procedures we perform are angiograms and intravascular ultrasounds, performed in an artery to determine heart function.
Learn about catheters from this video:
ABOUT INTERVENTIONAL CATHS
- Angioplasty (also called percutaneous coronary intervention, or PCI)
- Stents (a small mesh tube that opens a narrowed artery or supports a weakened artery)
- Atherectomy (used to remove plaque buildup from the artery walls)
- Additionally, a catheter can be used to treat structural defects of the heart, which affect your heart’s ability to efficiently pump blood.
Current service offerings include:
- Evaluation or confirmation of the presence of coronary artery disease, valve disease or disease of the aorta
- Evaluation of heart muscle function
- Ability to provide further treatment
Specific procedures include:
- Heart Catheterizations with Intervention
- VasCath Insertions
- PermCath Insertions
- PortaCath Insertions
- IVC Filter Insertions
- Fistulagrams with and without intervention
- And more!
For more information, please contact us at 910-577-2589.
For more information please call the Cath Lab at (910) 577-2589
Cath Lab Hours:
- Monday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- 317 Western Blvd., Jacksonville, NC 28546
- Ear, Nose and Throat & Audiology
- Emergency Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Laboratory Services
- Lung Screening
- Pain Management
- Pediatrics and Neonatology
- Plastic Surgery
- Primary Care
- Radiation Oncology
- Stroke Care
- Surgical Services
- Women's Services
- Wound Care