Visitor Restrictions 7-21-2020
Onslow Memorial Hospital Updated Visitor Restrictions
OMH remains committed to patient and family-centered, safe care throughout our hospital and all of our outpatient healthcare facilities. As the COVID-19 situation has evolved over the last few weeks, our policy is evolving to reflect these changes as well.
Effective July 1st, the following visitation restrictions will apply:
Inpatient units: One designated, screened companion per patient for the duration of his/her stay will be permitted. Approved companions are not required to stay at the hospital, but are encouraged to limit the number of times they enter and exit during visiting hours. Additional exceptions will be granted for end-of-life situations at the discretion of the CNO or the nursing supervisor if after 5 p.m. Visiting hours will be from 1pm-9pm each day.
Outpatient departments and clinics: To support safety in outpatient areas, particularly waiting rooms, no visitors/companions are permitted unless they meet one of these exceptions: 1). One companion for pediatric patients, 2). One companion for ORO patients during consults, 3). One companion at the discretion of the care team for patients who cannot otherwise safely navigate their appointment, 4). One companion for surgical/procedural patients prior to surgery and at the time of discharge to receive discharge instructions.
Emergency Department: One companion will be allowed to accompany a patient unless the patient is confirmed COVID-19 positive or a PUI (person under investigation).
Labor Checks: Patients presenting to OMH for a labor check will be allowed one companion.
All approved companions must pass a health screening and will be subject to a health screening at any time. An appropriate mask will be provided to companions during the screening process if they don’t already have one. Companions will be required to wear the mask at all times and will not be allowed to remain in the hospital or clinic without one regardless of the reason they provide for being unable to wear a mask.
Additional restrictions are as follows:
- No one under the age of 18 will be allowed to visit for the foreseeable future.
- Those who are over 65, pregnant or immunocompromised are discouraged from serving as the companion.
- The number of entrances to the hospital will be limited. Entrances include:
- Main lobby
- Emergency Department for emergency department patients
- Ambulatory Surgery Unit for ambulatory surgery patients
- Onslow Radiation Oncology (patients will be instructed on the entrance site)
- Onslow Radiation Oncology/Outpatient
- No companion with fever, cough, cold or flu-like symptoms may enter an OMH facility.
- Companions should not visit our campus if they have come into contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days or who has been recently tested for COVID-19.
- Those who have traveled outside of North Carolina or to any designated “hot spots” within NC within 14 days of the hospital visit will not be considered an approved companion.
- Patients under COVID-19 investigation may not have any companions, unless compassionate care is approved. Visitation in this situation will be limited to 1 visit, 2 companions, for 1 hour.
These restrictions have been put in place to protect everyone’s safety. Universal precautions have been implemented to lower the risk of transmission. The best scientific data and expertise inform us that “physical distancing” is an essential element in successful efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19. We must do our part to support these guidelines and remain a good community partner.
We also encourage the use of electronic communication for “virtual visitation”, such as FaceTime, Google Duo and Skype, in place of in-person visitation wherever possible. OMH will provide devices to our patients who don’t have the means to support a virtual visit.
These visitor restrictions may be revised as the COVID-19 situation evolves.
- About Us
- About Our Hospital
- Onslow Education
- Map & Directions
- Awards & Recognition
- CEO's Corner
- Phone Directory
- Cancer Accreditation
- Annual Report
- Governance & Leadership
- Partnership for Patients
- Patient & Family Advisory Council
- Onslow Education - Students
- Onslow Education - Faculty
- Community Health Needs Assessment
- Organizational Values
- Commitment to Quality
- Patient & Visitor Information
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Resources
- Here's What We are Doing to Keep You Safe
- Patient Information
- Visitor Information
- Phone Directory
- Parking & Locations
- Find a Physician
- Find a Physician
- Patient Medical Records
- Health & Safety
- Patient Rights & Forms
- Gift Shop
- Patient Services
- Patient Quality of Care
- Patient Experience
- Estimate My Cost
- Patient Portal
- Billing Information
- Patient Assistance Program
- Flu Season 2020
- Healthcare Wishes
- OMH Cafeteria
- Community Involvement
- Contact Us